Mike Saber and the team at Smith Anderson sponsored CED’s “Raising the Dough – Life Science” workshop on Wednesday, April 27. Click here for the agenda. Fifty emerging life science companies looking to raise capital attended the event.
Check out Mike’s key tidbits from the speakers:
- Rich Shea (Vascular Pharmaceuticals): When developing and implementing your funding plan, remember the “Six Ps”: maintain Perspective; be Pragmatic; always be Prepared; address concerns with Precision; Persist to get to yes; and demonstrate your Passion.
- John Ujvari (Small Business and Technology Development Center) and Drew Applefield (North Carolina Biotechnology Center): Explore and pursue non-dilutive financing from various sources, including government sponsored SBIR grants and favorable loans from the Biotech Center.
- Paul Boyer (Humacyte): Alternative capital sources are available and sometimes an appropriate and opportunistic option – family offices and sovereign wealth funds anyone?
- Neal Hunter (Novan Therapeutics): In designing a plan that might appeal to investors, focus on the “Three Bs”: Barriers to Entry; Big Market; Better Product.
- Angel and VC Investors’ Panels: They receive an average of two new business plans every day, so a warm lead will help you get their attention. Nurture those relationships!
Thanks to Mike for sharing! And special thanks to all our speakers, panelists, and moderators who each contributed to advice and coaching for the entrepreneurs:
Drew Applefield, Director, Business and Technology Development, NC Biotechnology Center
Paul Boyer, CFO, Humacyte, Inc.
Sarah Caley, Director of Corporate Development and US Lead, Merz Venture Capital Fund
Hugh Crenshaw, CEO and Co-Founder, Physcient
Bobby Helmedag, Director, Rex Health Ventures
Neal Hunter, Founding Investor, Novan Therapeutics and Managing Director, KnowBio LLC
Fred Kornahrens, Triangle Angel Partners (TAP)
Merrill Mason, Partner, Smith Anderson
Jayson Punwani, Principal, Pappas Ventures
John Ujvari, SBIR Program Specialist, SBTDC
Rich Shea, CEO, Vascular Pharmaceuticals
Andy Schwab, RTP Capital
Jeff Terrell, Associate, Hatteras Venture Partners
Bill Warner, IMAF- RTP
Take a closer look at how CED supports entrepreneurs through Connections to Capital.