CED Life Science Conference 2017 - Innovation Room
Year Founded: 2015
Spin-Darc LLC is an early stage company based in Raleigh, NC, developing a disruptive bio-digital technology for instant detection and validation of microbial contaminants. This lightweight biodetection device is based on unmodified optical disk drive and uses unmodified DVD disks to provide ultra-rapid, accurate readings of microbial presence and count in a liquid/soluble sample. The current prototype works with a desktop software; final design will be compatible with a Smartphone for portability and ease of use. Applications: point of care, environmental monitoring, population health, biodefense, etc. The product can be easily branched for various specialized uses, or used to test for multiple species.
Janna Badalian, Co-founder
Jeffrey Auld, Co-founder and Chief Technology Officer
KEY MILESTONES TO DATE
- Funding: 100% bootstrapped
- Local finalist in 1776 Pitch & InnovateHer startup competitions, 2015
- Significant advances in the technique, which reduce cost and time-to-market, made in 2016
- Submitted four SBIR applications, 2016 - 2017
- 2 U.S. patents awarded, 2010 and 2014. Claims for the current state-of-the-art ready; preparing to file
Blackstone Entrepreneurs Network, Groundwork Labs
Learn more about the CED Life Science Conference.