CED Life Science Conference 2017 - Lightning Round & Innovation Room
Year Founded: 2016
Bonumose is a start-up food ingredient manufacturer. We are developing and scaling-up a novel enzymatic process for producing the rare sugar tagatose at low cost. Tagatose is nearly indistinguishable from sucrose in terms of taste and food functionality. But tagatose is low glycemic (does not increase blood sugar levels), low calorie, non-cariogenic (does not cause tooth decay), and is a prebiotic. Tagatose has been available commercially for ~15 years but at a high cost. Our unique process uses a different feedstock and enzymes than the standard process, and can produce tagatose for 80% lower cost. Our tagatose will be affordable for widespread use in multiple food/beverage categories. Furthermore, tagatose can be used in animal feeds as a prebiotic and sweetener. And tagatose is proven as an effective co-ingredient with fungicides at preventing and reversing plant disease. Lux Research projected that tagatose sales could hit 34 million metric tons per year by 2024.
Ed Rogers, CEO
Dr. Daniel Wichelecki, Chief Scientific Officer
KEY MILESTONES TO DATE
- Funding: $325,000 from $200,000 equity investment and $125,000 bank debt
- Formed company and acquired full IP rights from predecessor company and Virginia Tech
- Filed PCT patent application
- Raised pre-seed capital
- Proved the enzymatic reaction works at larger scale
- Significant business development contacts made with large, global companies in the food, feed and agriculture industries
- Presented at two international venture events
Virginia Tech Intellectual Properties
Learn more about the CED Life Science Conference.